Char Siu Pork
700g Pork Belly (skin removed) or Tenderloin Strips
2 teaspoons of Five-Spice Powder
4 tablespoons of Runny Honey
2 chunks of Fermented Bean Curd
2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
3 tablespoons of Rice Wine or Sherry
2 tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce
1 tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons of Sweet Chilli Sauce or West Indian Pepper Sauce
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- To marinate the pork, cut it into 5cm (2in) wide strips. Rub the strips all over with the five spice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Put all the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix together until smooth. Pour this over the pork, then cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Transfer the pork to a baking tray and cook in the oven for one hour, until tender.
- To finish off, preheat the grill to hot and grill the pork strips for a couple of minutes on each side until they are crisp and caramelised.
- Rest the meat for ten minutes on a warm plate, slice on the diagonal and serve with steamed rice and greens.